Photo 11 appears to have the Barstow Harvey House, Casa del Desierto, in the background. Great photos. Thank you.

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 11:52 AM, water.kresse@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Did the War Production board control a fleet of flat cars from various railroad, but independent of the railroads?  The PM was allocated 70-ton flat cars during the war . . supposedly to ship armored vehicles out of Detroit and Flint.  The LVTs where built elsewhere . . . but were on PM flat cars.

Al Kresse

From: "'Bruce F. Smith' smithbf@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:41:33 PM
Subject: [STMFC] WWII military loads - Sanders Collection

Folks,

Thanks to Tim O’Conner who pointed me to this Facebook page

A set of 31 photos apparently taken in 1945 by Walter Sanders and apparently part of the LIFE Collections... although I can’t seem to find them anywhere else on line.

These appear to be on the AT&SF.  There are a wide range of cargoes including trucks, trailers, LVTs, LCVP, jeeps, construction equipment, M7s and M32s.  A gold mine of late WWII loading practices.

Also lots of interesting freight cars including a PRR FGRA flat, NYC, PM, WLE, C&NW, and a number “Harriman” style flats, a Reading gondola and my favorite Waterloo, Cedar Falls and Northern flat #4008.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL