Re: M&StL LT 70001 GATC "Dri-Flow" tank car

Jack Mullen

"Dry-Flo" (correct spelling with a y, a hyphen, and no w) was a GATC trade name applied to various types of covered hoppers over the years. The first use that I'm aware of was in 1932, for converted tank cars  with several hatches on the tank centerline and a central discharge hopper fed by drag conveyors.I think the first was GATX 33000, and I believe GATX 34000 was similar.

Just before the cutoff for this list, around 1959, GATC came out with a 3500 cuft Dry-Flo which had a carbody similar to the Airslide cars GATC was building concurrently. I believe these Dry-Flo cars had either pressure discharge or gravity/pressure hoppers. AFAIK GATC did not use the Dry-Flo designation for plain gravity discharge covered hoppers.

Jack Mullen