Re: Railroad true stories?

Don Burn

For the Boston and Maine, the book "High green and the Bark Peelers;: The story of Engineman Henry A. Beaulieu and his Boston and Maine Railroad" has a lot of good stories of operating.

Don Burn

From: "grangerroads@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 4:06:18 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Railroad true stories?

Ah, hope this question isn't out-of-bounds for this list. The question is about steam-era railroading, and it might (I hope it does) involve freight cars. So. . . .

I've googled a bit but without much success. I'm looking for real-life, or fact-based fiction, stories about any part of the railroad industry as it existed in the late 1930s or previous years. Accidents, crime, corruption, operations . . . any topic, really.

Does Railroad magazine fit what I hope to find? Got magazines, books, or other sources you might care to mention?

One focus of mine is railroad organizational structure: What were the various departments of a Class I railroad, how did their duties and responsibilities intermingle. What did a top-down organizational chart look like?

Thanks much,

Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa