Re: gons containing coal

water.kresse@...

Versatility was an issue.  As labor costs went up, you could rationalize the cost a trestle and dumping coal via hopper doors . . . . or getting a crane with a bucket.  Power plants began to seriously using rotary dumpers around WW Two.

Al Kresse

From: "Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC]"
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 10:11:54 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: gons containing coal

Ike

The C&O, D&RGW, CB&Q, NP, UP had fleets of gondolas in coal service beyond the
1960 cutoff of the STMFC list. I always thought preferences were based on the
versatility of the cars for other uses as well as coal. Even today 55+ years after
the STMFC era gondolas and hoppers are both in use in coal service.

Tim O'Connor

I expect coal shipments in gons were quite common into at least the 1920s.
Posted by: george eichelberger