Re: AC&F covered hoppers

billd@...

It comes from gas wells.
Of course, I know this (can't a guy have ANY fun around
here???)

One town thought they had hit
an "unlimited"
source of natural gas, but during the ceremony to light
the "eternal
flame" the rushing gas kept blowing out the torch they
were trying to
light it with. Too much helium.
Oops...

The wells in 1938 were mostly in Kansas and Texas.

OK, I'm getting entirely too serious here... DID THESE
CARS WEIGH
MORE EMPTY OR LOADED?
Yes.

In all seriousness (see comment about fun above) the cars
actually weighted more full. Helium, although less dense
than the mix of gasses we call air (79.9% N2, 20.0% O2, 0.2%
CO2, everything else, trace) it does have mass. When
compressed and loaded into those tanks on the cars, it
weighs quite a bit. Although I never was able to read the
load limit and lt. wt of the cars. Maybe somebody out there
with better eyes than I have (actually having one of the
cars would help :-) or lacking that a good magnifying
glass, can read the data off one of the cars and report
same.

Bill Daniels

=====
- Tom Gloger e-mail: mailto:tomgloger@...