Re: NYCS Lot 742-B

Benjamin Hom

Richard Townshend asked:
"I have a photo of the part of the side of a 50' New York Central System car that I believe is an auto car with what I further believe is a lot number of 742-B (that is stenciled above the NYCS logo. It shows a built date of 11-45. Can anyone give me more information on this car, such as number series, car type, etc.

The car is being switched in Denver on Oct. 16, 1949. The photo is from the Denver Public Library collection, and was taken by George Trout."

This particular car is from NYC 177300-177799, built by ACF.  A second series of cars (NYC 80500-80999) was built in 1946.

Ben Hom