Re: NYCS Lot 742-B

Donald B. Valentine

  OK Ben, I'll bite. The car you have kindly provided a photo of, MYC #80868 looks to be a 50 ft. SINGLE door car rather than a true auto car., or am I mistaken? Does it have an end door on the "A" end? Probably not because if I read the lettering correctly it states that this is an "Auto Body Car". I presume this would be used for delivering automobile bodies only to assembly plants around the nation and not to ship completed automobiles and expect that would be the case for both lots of these cars. I'd hate to try to load new cars
through those nominally 8 ft. doors!

Cordially, Don Valentine

---In STMFC@..., <b.hom@...> wrote :

Richard Townshend asked:
"I have a photo of the part of the side of a 50' New York Central System car that I believe is an auto car with what I further believe is a lot number of 742-B (that is stenciled above the NYCS logo. It shows a built date of 11-45. Can anyone give me more information on this car, such as number series, car type, etc.

The car is being switched in Denver on Oct. 16, 1949. The photo is from the Denver Public Library collection, and was taken by George Trout."

This particular car is from NYC 177300-177799, built by ACF.  A second series of cars (NYC 80500-80999) was built in 1946.

Ben Hom