Re: Any thoughts on what is loaded onto the flat car in the image below

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <billinsf@...> wrote :

Half of a flywheel was my original thought, Bruce, but looking at it again I can see teeth on the outer ring, which would make this half of a large gear (presumably the other half is on the other side of the car...)

Bill Daniels
San Francisco, CA
========

Teeth, or barring slots? Big Corliss engines had the problem that being single cylinder, they could stop on dead center, so the engineer was provided with a BIG (like eight feet long) prybar to move the engine off dead center.

Dennis Storzek