Re: Kadee.148 couplers

Clark Propst

When I started to operate my layout it quickly became apparent I was going to have to change/standardize a couple items. I only keep about 100 cars on hand so I gave up a trip to CCB to buy KD small couplers with whiskers and IM wheel sets. Operating problems solved. It did take awhile for the crew to get use to the smaller couplers, they all use #5s. I did build a Speedwitch low sided gon and used the recommended Accumate couplers. There was a big derailment which was caused by one of the Accumate things separating and half pulling out of box. Where as we could push a dozen or more cars around an 18” R curve without any difficulties. I have found that car sustain more end damage when short shanked couples are installed.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa