Re: Rust-Oleum Dead Flat Clear Finish

T.J. Stratton

I'm a Badger airbrush fan.  I use their line of paints as well as Tru Color and Scalecoat II.  I have a paint booth that vents to the outdoors thru a dryer vent in the block windows.  While a rattle can sounds slick, I feel that the paint flow could be way be too heavy for painting of H.O. size rolling stock.  I have painted a number of buildings with rattle cans with fine results.  

Regarding economic airbrush set ups, several years ago I purchased a small compressor and airbrush as a set from Harbor Freight, for about $75 as I recall.  That kept me painting when recalled to active duty during Operation Iraqi Freedom.  I only used Badger paint thru that rig but still, I have no complaints about the results.

TJ Stratton Maumee, OH. "Modeling the 1950's branch lines of the Michigan Central Railroad in southern Michigan" Mailto:michigancentralrr@...

Sent: Monday, January 16, 2017 2:24 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Rust-Oleum Dead Flat Clear Finish

How many guys here use spray cans to paint their HO Scale equipment? In today's world why wouldn't you have acquired even the most economic airbrush?  

Show of hands...

Greg Martin  

Eventually all things merge into one and a river runs through it.
Norman Maclean

In a message dated 1/15/2017 3:12:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, STMFC@... writes:

At yesterday's Great Train Show I talked with Joel Bragdon, the weathering powder entrepreneur, about base and finish coatings for use with chalks and powders.

He mentioned that Rust-Oleum announced a new coating last March called "Dead Flat Clear" and that he likes the product. Here is a photo link:

http://tinyurl.com/jnou4lu

I did a little searching and found that Home Depot and Lowe's both carry it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.