Re: Weathering Tank Cars

Bruce Smith

Armand,

I think we might have talked about this a number of times over the history of this list.  Here's my basic approach.

1) Start with an overspray of weathered or grimy black.  These cars got very grimy from smoke, dirt, dust and road grime and were rarely washed or repainted.  This also dulls the markings.

2) Add additional grime from spillage in the dome area.  I like oily black for this.

3) Add bearing oil grunge to the bottom and ends of the tank where leaky bearings on the car, or neighboring car would have spun oil out onto the tank and frame.

4) Add a rust wash to the edges of the tank bands to indicate where expansion and contraction have rubbed the paint off allowing rust.  Also rust the truck springs.

5) Add fresh spills with gloss paint.

6) Add appropriate placards and chalk marks.

With practice, it is possible to apply this type of weathering on a "fleet" basis.

Regards

Bruce

From: Armand Premo <arm.p.prem@...>
Date: Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 1:07 PM
Subject: Weathering Tank Cars
" <STMFC@...>

With the advent of the new Tangent tank cars and new resin cars,has there been any discussion on weathering tank cars?If so ,guess I missed it.Armand Premo