Mather 42 ft. Meat Reefers Leased to Morrell

Nelson Moyer

I bought several Sunshine kits from an estate sale, and Sunshine 15.1 didn’t have the parts pack with ladders. Looking at the photos of the MORX 9200-9499 series cars, it is obvious that the side ladder is significantly wider than the sill step, and the end ladder is probably narrower than the side ladder. The kit instructions state that the sill step is 18 in. wide, and the door step is a cut-off piece of 16 ½ in. wide ladder stock. Photos suggest those dimensions may be correct. I tried to scale the side ladder from the ‘known’ dimension of the sill steps, and I got 26 and 27 in. wide. That sounds excessive, and I suspect that 22-24 in. might be closer to the true width. I have not found a scale drawing of these cars to measure the side ladder width, or any text giving the width. The side grab irons are 22 in. wide. Is it likely that the ladder would also be 22 in. wide?

Either the sill steps are narrower than 18 in. and 16 ½ in. or the ladder is wider than 18 in. Does anyone know the width of the side ladders, and are the end ladders indeed narrower than the side ladders, presumably 16 ½ in. wide. One other observation, the ladder is 7 car siding boards wide. Knowing the width of the siding would give the ladder width, so how wide were the T&G siding boards?

Nelson Moyer