Black Southern Pacific 3-Bay Covered Hoppers?

Brian Termunde

I have a friend who is doing a mid to late 1950's Espee three bay covered hopper for someone else. It was already partially finished in black, and he's hoping not to have to strip and repaint it.

The person he's doing the car for is not a serious modelers such as the members of this group, so the model is intended only to be representative of an SP car, not an exact model, however, my friend doesn't want to letter it SP if they didn't have any black cars.

I did think about asking about this on the SP group, but realized that I probably would only to be told to buy a certain $70 book, which is a very valuable reference and would be a great, and much welcomed addition to my library, is a regardless, bit expensive to answer one simple question!

Okay, actually two questions, what would, if an appropriate similar car existed, would be a reasonable number series to use for it.

Now I do realize that this is blasphemy to this group, but hopefully eventually this stand in will encourage its owner to learn more about the prototype and such critters can be hidden away as they should be...

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah