Re: Canadian grain in the USA?

Tim O'Connor

Not all wheat grain is the same. And crop yields obviously differ from year
to year. Which is just my way of saying that if some quantity at some price
that is needed at a US mill were not available in the US, then surely they would
try to buy it from a Canadian source - and vice versa.

Tim O'Connor

I have been researching the flour industry and grain shipping by rail. Did Canadian grain ever make it to the mills of Minneapolis in the pre WW2 era? My research seems to say NO. American flour wasn't competitive in Canada because of tariffs and Canadian grain seems to have exported to the UK or gone to mills in Eastern Canada .Does anyone have different information on this subject? Thanks.

Richard Stallworth