Re: duke sou gon

A&Y Dave in MD

My 1926 ORER is 3 years before the date in the photo. The build date in the
photo is 1924 and the number of 1,000 in the ORER fits with Wiley and
Wallace's "Southern Railway Handbook" where they state that the Southern had
1000 all steel low side gons of that type ordered. Checking the 1938 ORER
shows only 4 gone in 12 years; that is pretty good for hardworking gons
through the Depression era!

I'm sure the SRHA archives in Kennesaw have the data (probably drawings,
maybe the order documentation), but that info has not been published to
date. So I can't help you on the description of the end. It is pretty
cool. I doubt one rib without taper would have been named or marketed
Dreadnought, but it is evidence that the idea of ribs applied horizontally
to stiffen freight car ends is an evolutionary one.

Dave