Re: Shipping Coal - How Far?

Charles Hostetler

Hi Jim,

I took a quick look for shipments of coal to California, Oregon, and Washington In 1951 and 1952 from the 1% Waybill Survey.  These figures are carloads in the sample; to estimate carloads per year multiply by 100.

There was 1 shipment of anthracite from Pennsylvania to Oregon in the 1952 sample.  All other coal in 1951 and 1952 sample were bituminous:

To California
From Arkansas - 21 (1951); 20 (1952)
From New Mexico - 0 (1951); 16 (1952)
From Oklahoma - 0 (1951); 4 (1952)
From Utah - 149 (1951); 128 (1952)
From WVa - 3 (1951); 1 (1952)
From Wyoming - 5 (1951); 2 (1952)

To Oregon
From Utah - 33 (1951); 42 (1952)
From WVa - 0 (1951); 1 (1952)
From Wyoming - 20 (1951); 15 (1952)

To Washington:
From Colorado - 2 (1951); 1 (1952)
From Montana - 21 (1951); 12 (1952)
From Okla - 1 (1951); 0 (1952)
From Utah - 114 (1951); 151 (1952)
From Wash - 95 (1951); 117 (1952)
From WVa - 0 (1951); 1 (1952)
From Wyo - 79 (1951); 117 (1952)

I would say that most of the bituminous coal going to California, Oregon, and Washington came from Utah and Wyoming, with secondary flows from Arkansas and Montana.  It also appears that there was a pretty significant redistribution flow (From Wash to Wash) that was probably from the coal docks in the Tacoma tide flats or Puget Sound.

Regards,

Charles Hostetler
Washington Ill