Re: Shipping Coal - How Far?

Dave Nelson

The key point below is the absence of any mention of smelting iron ore. You need coke to do that. The mention of the Open Hearth Furnace is saying they took pig iron and by melting it and adding a bit of this and that changed the iron into a complex compound – steel. Obviously melting the iron requires a lot heat but that could be from any fuel. I’d put my money on natural gas for most of the 20th century (with the chance they used coal before the 1930’s) because there are natural gas wells in the area, including some just on the other side of the Sacramento River opposite Pittsburg.

Dave Nelson

From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2017 2:43 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Shipping Coal - How Far?

Garth,

Thanks for that pointer. I have from another source that Columbia received pig iron from the mills in Utah. The jury is still out on coal needs prior to the end of the war. The mill was sited in Pittsburg due to it's proximity to the local coal deposits. As they petered out and the local coal hauling road shut down and pulled up the tracks from the right of way some form of fuel had to replace the local coal. I have no direct evidence of coal shipments or a gas pipeline but the plant's history page shows that they started with a 150 ton open hearth furnace in 1910.

http://www.ussposco.com/about_us.php

Columbia steel Pittsburg history

1910-1920

The first Pittsburg steel facility opened in 1910 as a 60-man foundry under the name of Columbia Steel. Consisting of one building and a single 150-ton open hearth, the plant furnished steel castings for the dredging, lumber and shipping industries.

In the 1920’s, the plant expanded to include the West’s first nail mill, and later, the first hot dip tin mill west of the Mississippi.

1930-1940

During the 1930’s and 1940s, facilities and equipment were added to help supply major public works projects – the most notable being the San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge – and to meet the demand for steel products during WWII.

Post-war expansion includes modern continuous sheet and tin mills, the West’s first continuous rod mill, cold rolling mills, electrolytic tinning, cleaning, continuous coating and annealing lines.

I can confirm that they did provide steel to the war effort but got behind on some of the orders due to the priority system. This was noted in a history report in the national archives that referenced an Oakland manufacturer of practice bombs that had to re-order from eastern mills when Pittsburg could not make an immediate delivery mid-war. That order was for a quantity of thin sheet that would be used for bomb blanks. Orders for Oakland and San Francisco industries would be nearly on-layout moves for me, and that delivery was scheduled via rail.

It would be interesting to confirm the availability of gas.

John Barry

_____