Re: Shipping Coal - How Far?

cliffprather

Except for the Kaiser Steel plant at Fontana and coke for foundries, I don't think that there was much demand for coal in Southern California during the stream era after the uses of fuel oil was developed. Cement plants used oil until cost of its cost jumped in the last third of the 20th century. Power plants used oil until they switched to natural gas. I believe that the export of coal to other countries through Sothern California was not important until the latter part of 20th century.

A note on routing Utah coal to Kaiser Steel at Fontana.  Coal that was shipped via UP (LA&SL) from Utah was interchanged to the Santa Fe at Barstow for deliver to Kaiser.

Clifford Prather