Re: Shipping Coal - How Far?

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

John,

I have also heard/read that coal was what brought Columbia to Pittsburg. According to Bert Ward's MOUNT DIABLO COAL MINE RAILROADS, coal was being commercially taken from Mt. Diablo as early as the 1850s.

The earliest was the Union mine at Somersville was one about 10 related or neighboring operations that shipped coal to Pittsburg on the Pittsburg Railroad. Operations were largely wound down by 1907, but the mines and the railroad limped along until 1916.

Black Diamond Coal and Railroad Company began operation around 1859 in the Nortonsville area. The company also shipped to Pittsburg, but was wound down in 1902 and the railroad was removed around 1911.

The final operation began around 1861, but really didn't take off until a number of years later. In 1878 the investors opened the Empire Coal Mine and Railroad Co., which ran between several mines/shafts at Stewartsville and Antioch. This operation closed down in 1897.

Railroad Historian Dan McKellips claimed the mines supplied bunker coal to Sacramento and San Joaquin river boats and it was also used on the SP ferry Contra Costa. Some was sold for industrial use in Stockton. Neither he or Ward mention coal being sold to the Columbia works.

Hope this of use.

Yours Aye,

Garth

On 2/27/17 5:42 PM, John Barry northbaylines@... [STMFC] wrote:

Garth,

Thanks for that pointer.  I have from another source that Columbia received pig iron from the mills in Utah.   The jury is still out on coal needs prior to the end of the war.  The mill was sited in Pittsburg due to it's proximity to the local coal deposits.  As they petered out and the local coal hauling road shut down and pulled up the tracks from the right of way some form of fuel had to replace the local coal.  I have no direct evidence of coal shipments or a gas pipeline but the plant's history page shows that they started with a 150 ton open hearth furnace in 1910.

Columbia steel Pittsburg history
1910-1920
The first Pittsburg steel facility opened in 1910 as a 60-man foundry under the name of Columbia Steel. Consisting of one building and a single 150-ton open hearth, the plant furnished steel castings for the dredging, lumber and shipping industries.

In the 1920’s, the plant expanded to include the West’s first nail mill, and later, the first hot dip tin mill west of the Mississippi.
1930-1940
During the 1930’s and 1940s, facilities and equipment were added to help supply major public works projects – the most notable being the San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge – and to meet the demand for steel products during WWII.

Post-war expansion includes modern continuous sheet and tin mills, the West’s first continuous rod mill, cold rolling mills, electrolytic tinning, cleaning, continuous coating and annealing lines.

I can confirm that they did provide steel to the war effort but got behind on some of the orders due to the priority system.  This was noted in a history report in the national archives that referenced an Oakland manufacturer of practice bombs that had to re-order from eastern mills when Pittsburg could not make an immediate delivery mid-war.  That order was for a quantity of thin sheet that would be used for bomb blanks.  Orders for Oakland and San Francisco industries would be nearly on-layout moves for me, and that delivery was scheduled via rail.

It would be interesting to confirm the availability of gas.

John Barry