Re: MKT 97001-97300 Boxcars

Ed Hawkins

Allan Smith smithal9@... [STMFC] wrote:
I have conductors lists from the Sierra RR in 1952-1954. One car on the list is MKT 97165. I have a photo from an article in Modelrailroading of car 97095. The photo is a broadside shot and does't show the ends and roof, December 1948 is the built date with a 6' 5-6-6 youngstown door. I have gone thru all the new lists on the steam era freight car site and can't find this series. 1948 was a year of change in freight car construction with the new ends and roofs.
Can anyone provide details for these cars? Ends , roofs, brake gear, manufacturer etc.
Al Smith
Sonora CA
Al,
The M-K-T 97100-97300 cars in question were covered in RP CYC Volume 26 as part of my article on ACF box cars having the builder's proprietary ends built from 1948 to 1950. These M-K-T cars also had proprietary ACF carbuilder roofs as well.

The updated "postwar AAR" box car roster now available for downloading on the STMFC web site is limited to 40'-6" box cars having 4-4 Improved Dreadnaught ends and Canadian NSC ends from National Steel Co. built at roughly the same time.

A separate roster of postwar AAR box cars with ACF proprietary ends has been sent to be uploaded to the STMFC web site, but at this time is not yet available.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins