Re: MKT 97001-97300 Boxcars

Tim O'Connor

Bill

If you don't want to wait for Yarmouth resin kits, you can use the
Branchline ends which are pretty darn close!

Branchline kit #1420 was an MKT 40 foot box car with 6 foot doors and
these ends for the MKT 97301-97600 series. This model is EXACTLY right,
with the correct sides (10p riveted), doors (Youngstown), ends (ACF
carbuilder), and roof (SRE diagonal panel).

Tim O'

Thank you for the education. Much appreciated.

I am also planning on attempting to model a couple of cars of this class. Do you have any suggestions for modeling the correct ends?

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

From the ground, I think it may be hard to see the difference between the
"Stanray" (SRE) rectangular panel roof and the ACF "carbuilder" roof. Both
have stamped rectangles in each panel but the ACF has a secondary stamping
in the middle of the panels.

That photo is a Jim Sands shot from 1966.

Tim O'Connor

I am not sure if this image will be of much help in answering your questions� but wortth a shot�
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/mkt/mkt97193ajs.jpg

To my very untrained eyeballs it appears that the car has a raised panel roof. Maybe. Hard to tell from this view.

Cheers & Happy Modeling,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA