Re: Westerfield S-40-1 stock car

Nelson Moyer

Very nice build, Eric. That car has so much character, that I really wanted to get one until I checked the 1953 ORER and found that only eighty-two 36’ stock cars are listed for UP, one 35576, one 36357, and eighty 36752-38149. You didn’t give the series range for your car, but it probably fits in somewhere with the onesies, and not the eighties, meaning that I can’t justify one on my roster. That’s the down side of prototype modeling, i.e. it requires self-discipline and restraint.

By contrast, the CB&Q had 2699 37’ stock cars in 1953, so if you want to model stock trains of that era, it’s a good prototype, and even if you don’t model the CB&Q, it’s highly likely that at least one SM-16 or SM-18 would show up in your trains from time to time. The Q leased Mather stock cars, so while the Sunshine kits are no more, the P2K Mather cars lettered for CB&Q could be used for the occasional off road stock car.

Nelson Moyer

From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 8:23 AM
To: 1914to1940RRingr@yahoogroups.com <1914to1940RRing@yahoogroups.com>; earlyrail@yahoogroups.com; resinfreightcars@yahoogroups.com; proto-layouts@yahoogroups.com; STMFC YahooGroup <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Westerfield S-40-1 stock car

The latest Westerfield kit is featured on the Resin Car Works blog. Check out the build summary on a classic S-40-1 stock car.

http://blog.resincarworks.com/westerfield-s-40-1-stock-car/

Eric Hansmann
RCW web guy

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.