Re: Sand Loads in HO?

Bruce Smith

Jim,

I’ve seen several suggestions:

1) baking soda - a chemical, not a food product
2) decomposed sandstone
3) sifted sand (so you get only the finest particles)
4) fine grit blasting media - AlO2  (this one scares me because this stuff is bad to breathe, so I would consider this only as a last resort, wear protective gear and make sure it was completely glued down
5) diatomaceous earth (this stuff has the same issues as AlO2 grit blasting media)

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Mar 6, 2017, at 1:12 PM, jimbetz jimbetz@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hi all,

  What product do you use for making an HO scale sand load
in a gondola?  I don't want to use any kind of food product
(such as flour).
  I'm willing to color it with paint and washes.

  The only commercial product I'm finding is the one by
Motrak.  That one might work - but it is white and would
require color changes.  And all of the sources I've been
able to find want as much or more to ship it as the load
costs!

  This is to represent "sand being delivered to an engine
facility for RR use such as for locomotives" - the sand
seen at a sand tower.  It will go in an Intermountain
ATSF Caswell gondola (if that makes a difference).
- Jim B.

Posted by: jimbetz <jimbetz@...>

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional