Extract cars

gpierson@...

Hi, everyone,

Back about 100 years ago, when leather tanning was still an important
industry, there were plants around the US where the tanin was extracted from
bark and turned into the liquid used in tanning. I model the PRR Middle
Division in 1920 and there was still such a plant at Newport, PA, the Oak
Extract Co. Here's my question: what kind of car would have been used to
haul the extract solution to the tanneries? Tank cars? If so, would they
have used standard steel tank cars? or would wooden tank cars have worked?
Your thoughts?

George Pierson