Re: automobile cars

Tim O'Connor

That was really my point Armand - the notion that the term "automobile car"
is anything more than a "nickname" for certain types of cars.

In the 1950 ORER for example, you will see double door ATSF box cars with
AAR classifications XM, XME, XMR, XAP, and XAR.

Tim O'Connor

 > Didn't they have the "XA" designation? Armand Premo

The definition I gave was the ARA and AAR definition. The naming choices of individual railroads are a separate subject, and as Tim suggests, there were certainly cases where railroad preferences were very much at odds with the "official" recommendation or classification.
Tony Thompson