Re: Sand Loads in HO?

Dave Parker

I have thought about this more in terms of scenery, but the same principles apply to loads.

If you are a soil scientist, sand particles range in diameter from 0.05 to 2.0 mm.   A good starting point would be ~1.0 mm for typical dune sand.  In HO scale that is 0.011 mm, very fine particles indeed.  The finest US Standard sieve size that you will commonly see is 400 mesh = 0.037 mm, or about 3.2 mm in HO scale (= fine gravel).

IOW, a prototypically correct load should be extremely fine, maybe like flour.  It really shouldn't have much in the way of noticeable texture when viewed with the naked eye.  I have seen several layouts, and a few carloads, where what is supposed to be sand is actually a bunch of tennis balls in HO scale.

As always, YMMV.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Monday, March 6, 2017 3:37 PM, "Peter Hall petehall6369@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Another product you might consider is Sanded Grout.  It’s very fine, and comes in several useful colors.

Thanks
Pete

On Mar 6, 2017, at 1:51 PM, Richard Townsend richtownsend@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I have used diatomaceous earth, which you can get cheaply from many hardware stores and pet stores.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR