Re: What is this car?

Douglas Harding

Al that might be true for very early stockcars, but the 28hr law implemented in 1906 (itself an update of a 1877 law) made feed bins on stockcars obsolete. Stockcars with high exterior boards as seen in the photo were common up past WWII.

From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Tuesday, March 7, 2017 1:54 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: What is this car?

Solid top areas had pull-down feed bins I believe?

Al Kresse

On March 7, 2017 at 2:41 PM "Al Kresse water.kresse@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

C&O had them also . . . . Mr Garstang, later Master Mechanic for C&O helped in their design.

Al Kresse

On March 7, 2017 at 2:32 PM "Ray Breyer rtbsvrr69@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

>>...But I've never seen a stock car that has those boards on the top of the sides/ends (on any RR)....

>>...But the top of the sides (and ends) are something I've never seen anywhere on any RR's stock car....
>>Jim B.

Hi Jim,

Really? That's a little surprising, because at one time they were de rigueur on almost every stock car built. Just in my own photo collection, I have images of cars from the following roads with this type of large lettering board:

A&NM, ATSF, BCE, C&A, C&GT, C&S, C&NW, CA&CRW, CB&Q, CCC&StL, CGW, CMO, CP, CRI&P, CC&O, CWV&S, D&RG, DL&W, GN, Hicks, IC, I-GN, KCMO, LPTC, LS&MS, LV, M&NA, M&O, Mather, Milwaukee, MKT, MP, NdeM, NP, NKP, NYC&HR, PM, PRR, RGS, Rutland, SLSF, Soo, SSW, W&LE, Wabash, WC, WM.

Cyril Durrenberger wrote an article for Model Railroading magazine in the early '00's on matching the old Roundhouse (and AHM) shorty stock car to the prototype, and showcased a couple of dozen of these cars.

True, this type of stock car wasn't much built after 1910, but the type survived into WWII.

Regards,

Ray Breyer

Elgin, IL