Re: Stock car interiors

Donald B. Valentine

---In STMFC@..., <tony@...> wrote :

Eric Hansmann wrote:

Thanks for the info, Doug. I think I will have some lime remnant weathering on my stock car model.

     Nice touch on a loaded car, but an empty one was ordinarily steam-cleaned before re-use and would certainly no longer show the lime.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

    I would think that this would depend on how quickly and where the car was steam cleaned. Stock
pens were found all over the place, particularly in Northern New England where there seems to have
been one every 25 to 30 miles so farmers did not have to drive livestock too far. But I have seen few
of the pens that were left into the early 1970's that had anything close to steam cleaning equipment.
No notations have been found in reference to pens having steam cleaning equipment on site either.
Thus it would seem that empty cars would have to be moved at least to a yard with a car repair track
where one could probably find a steam generator as well. Perhaps things were different on the western roads but this is what I have found over the years on the B&M, the CV, the Rutland and the MEC.

Cordially, Don Valentine