Re: RF&P USRA Boxcar

Justin May

Thank you all who have responded thus far. I've also located some additional photos of these cars via Fallenflags.org -

I have an underlying project for this car, which once I get some additional Evergreen styrene in hand, I'll share via my blog, but for now, thank you again for all who have responded.

Justin May

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Garth Groff sarahsan@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Justin, Eric and Friends,

Actually, there were two groups of RF&P USRA boxcars. RF&P 2451-2800 originally assigned to the RF&P by the USRA. Subsidiary Washington Southern was assigned 981-1130, later merged into the RF&P. This gave the RF&P a total of 500 cars. In January 1958, there were still 9 cars left in the 2451 group, and 8 in the 981 group. There was also a stock car, 2409, which had the same dimensions as the USRA boxcars. These were some of the longest serving USRA single-sheathed cars in revenue service in more-or-less original condition. I have a photo in my collection of RF&F 1131 with a 1965 reweigh date. Quite a few USRA boxcars also were in RF&P's MOW fleet.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 3/8/17 5:11 PM, 'Eric Hansmann' eric@... [STMFC] wrote:

Justin,

That is a USRA single-sheathed box car. RF&P were assigned 350 in the 2451-2800 series. It looks like RF&P 2538 in the image has been upgraded with an AB brake system and a second grab on the left side of the car.

The USRA freight car assignments can be found here.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/usra-freight-car-assignments/

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX