Re: STOCK CAR LOAD/UNLOAD TIME?

Steve SANDIFER

Well, it depends.

Most stock pens had only one chute. If you had three car loads, then you loaded one, pulled the cars up, loaded the second, pulled the car up, loaded the third. If the cars were already at the pen, and you knew exactly when the train was to arrive, you might load them using a tractor to move the cars. Otherwise you waited until the train arrived, sometimes with the empty cars as a part of the train. Remember, the 28/36 hour law began when the first hoof hit the floor, so you did not load cars and let them sit around for an hour waiting on the train unless the trip was short enough that you had time to spare on the clock. Factor in setting brakes, air tests, applying shipping seals, signing paperwork.

Cattle loaded the fastest, they knew what to do. Sheep were afraid to load, so you needed something like a trained goat to lead them into the car. Once the first lamb was inside, the others would follow quickly.

Single deck or double deck car? Two chutes or stacked chutes? Daylight or dark? Any thunder or storms around?

On my railroad, operators have to spot the car at the church and then wait 1 real minute before moving the car.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Sent: Wednesday, March 8, 2017 3:22 PM
To: stmfc@...
Subject: [STMFC] STOCK CAR LOAD/UNLOAD TIME?

Hello Group,

With this discussion about stock car interiors I begun to think about filling those interiors.

My question is… Considering the load to be cattle, how long, on average, would it take to load a typical stock car. Also, the follow-on question of how long would it take to unload a typical stock car.

Next question(s)… would sheep or hogs take longer or less time to load or unload?

Thank & Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.