Re: [1914to1940RRing] GATX 7167 - The Pierce Company

SUVCWORR@...

I found the below reference to Pierce Oil Company in East Rochester, NY.  The location is now a superfund site.

http://www.homefacts.com/environmentalhazards/New-York/Monroe-County/East-Rochester/Superfund-Baker-Castor-Oil-Pierce-Oil-Products-Nyd980531651.html

Rich Orr

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC
Sent: Mon, Mar 13, 2017 4:26 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] [1914to1940RRing] GATX 7167 - The Pierce Company

On Mar 13, 2017, at 11:01 AM, 'Eric Hansmann' eric@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I love that tank car photo but it raises questions as it doesn’t quite jell with the accompanying company story. Note the car is a GATX lease but lettered for the Pierce Company of East Rochester, NY. The company story does not mention a New York operation.

Bob & Eric,
Just to add a bit to the information, on 3/25/20 the Pierce Oil Corp. placed an order with ACF (lot 8911) for 100 ARA III tank cars of 50-ton & 10,000 gallon capacity. The sample builder photo was POCX 1713, 7-20 build date, and a 4-course tank.

In large sans-serif stencils to the right of the center ladder is PIERCE OIL CORPORATION on two lines, but there are no stencils with a city location. To the left of the center ladder is a large circular emblem having a flag inside with “Pennant" on the flag and OILS below the flag. While this black & white photo doesn’t show color, clearly the emblem is colorful. 

Following are three related links that I found with a quick google search. The first two show a company trademark that’s virtually identical to the emblem shown on the POCX 1713 tank car.  The third one adds “Gasoline” that the other two do not include. 

Some related links:

There are a few more from auctioneers that require logging in. 
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.