Re: GATX 7167 - The Pierce Company

Donald B. Valentine

---In STMFC@..., <tangentscalemodels@...> wrote :

<<Don valentine wrote:  "I wonder if I have missed something when looking at such photos in the past, however. What are the two round pieces protruding from the frame and showing just above the outer
wheelset in each truck. I've never noticed these before and wonder if they are related to the
draft gear or what purpose they served.">>
<Dennis Storzek replied: "Don, the car has Cardwell draft gear, and you are looking at the nut and washer that retain the Cardwell system crosswise compression springs.>

I would like to add a few points to this thread:

These Cardwell draft gear spring parts are part of the HO Scale Tangent Scale Models GATC 1917-design tank car models that we offer factory-painted, where applicable.  We will offer these, and other parts from our newest steam-era model, as separate parts down the road for kitbashers, detailers, etc.  Watch our "Parts" page for more information.

Also, the gorgeous photo of GATX 7167, the car that spawned this thread, is indeed a GATC 1917-design 8000 gallon radial course tank car (i.e. the Tangent model).

Finally, on Wednesday of this week we will release the last very small batch of our original production 8,000 gallon GATC 1917-design tank cars, so if anyone missed out on getting those, please see our website this Wednesday.  These are cars from the original production that were late in getting to our warehouse (this batch will only include the 5 gorgeous RTR fully-painted and lettered paint schemes from our production announced at Trainfest in Milwaukee last November).

Best wishes,

David Lehlbach
Tangent Scale Models

   Thank you Dennis and David. This is good info to have. I'm embarrassed to note, David, that I
hadn't even noticed it on the two of your tank cars I have.

Cordially, Don Valentine