Re: Modeling A Hot Box

Charles Peck

I'm not sure I can follow all the directions for casting a translucent red wheel.  Anybody here casting some that
might sell me one? Contact offline please...
Chuck Peck     email    LNNRR152@...

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:04 PM, thecitrusbelt@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

As some of you know, State Highway 99 in the California Central Valley still parallels the former Southern Pacific (now UP) mainline in many areas. Years ago while traveling that route I saw a hotbox on an SP beet train going in my same direction.

It was quite a sight with bright flames and sparks shooting from a damaged journal, trailing black and gray smoke for a hundred yards or more.

I've though about modeling a lot of things but never a hotbox...until now.

The First Quarter 2017 issue of the free on-line NYC Modeler has a detailed, richly illustrated article by Dean Apostal on just such a project, starting on Page 29. Here is the link:

https://nycshs.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/nycentralmodeler_2016_4q2.pdf

And to see a hotbox on a model freight train, check out this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z969DN_gjE

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA