Re: Modeling A Hot Box

mrprksr <mrprksr@...>

How would an agent know if there was a hot box 50-75 cars or more from the head end?    It is up to the  rear end crew to watch for agent.......With 42 years as a conductor there were alot of different signals.....Holding your nose was a sign for hot box.....rubbing your hands together was for sticking brakes/sliding wheels.........the general location in the train was given by rubbing head for head end.....belly for middle and butt for rear......Radio changed all that.....Larry Mennie

On Friday, March 24, 2017 10:57 AM, "agecompanyphotog@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

We do have a figure of a station agent modified such that he is holding his nose with one hand and pointing to the track with the other.  I've got a picture of him "in action" on the Atlantic Great Eastern.  I'll see if I can get it uploaded to the photos section.

Engineers are instructed to watch for the agent on the platform doing a roll-by inspection as they pass an open station.  Most of the time it is a figure giving a highball signal but every once in a while it's the guy indicating a hotbox.  In that case, the engineer had better well stop and have the train inspected.

Craig Wilson