Re: Flat Car Load Pictures of International Bulldozers

Jim Betz

Dennis Storzek,

Thanks for that post with the link!

All,

If you didn't take the time to scan and read some of that GREAT Chicago
Tribune you missed some "good stuff". A very interesting "slice of history"
in that day's paper from 1947.
And there are other pages that covered the wreck later on in the same
paper including pictures and text about the ongoing investigation of the
cause of the wreck.
I found even the cartoons and ads interesting ... for instance check out
the page(s) covering "what's playing at the movies" that week. And the
classifieds. And ... well you get my drift.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1947/04/05/page/1/article/photos-bare-clew-to-cause-of-zephyr-wreck

It was also interesting to me to see so many really basic spelling
errors. Check the use of "clew" in the link. Notice how all thru the
paper "freight" is spelled "frate". Ya gotta laugh at that stuff ...
- Jim B.

2d. Re: Flat Car Load Pictures of International Bulldozers
Posted by: destorzek@... soolinehistory
Date: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:24 am ((PDT))

Oh, wow, did that picture strike a chord: http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Content.aspx?dsNav=Ny:True,Ro:200,N:4294963828-4294955414&dsNavOnly=N:4294963828-4294955414&dsRecordDetails=R:IM69184 http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Content.aspx?dsNav=Ny:True,Ro:200,N:4294963828-4294955414&dsNavOnly=N:4294963828-4294955414&dsRecordDetails=R:IM69184

The year of the photo is 1947. While the location is given as Chicago, I believe the IH plant was in west suburban Broadview, switched by the CB&Q.

On April 3, 1947, while traveling through Downers Grove, IL, maybe ten miles west of Broadview, one of those crawler tractors fell off the side of a flatcar, right in front of the Twin Zephyr, which derailed at track speed and tore the front wall off the brick Downers Grove depot. Luckily, the station agent had just stepped across the street for a cup of coffee when the derailed train demolished his operator's bay. Subsequent investigation showed that some of the blocking was never nailed to the deck, allowing the crawler to shift and slide off the side of the car. For all we know, we are looking at the load in question.

Here is a link to a newspaper article from the time:

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1947/04/05/page/1/article/photos-bare-clew-to-cause-of-zephyr-wreck http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1947/04/05/page/1/article/photos-bare-clew-to-cause-of-zephyr-wreck

Overall history of the wreck:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downers_Grove_train_wreck https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downers_Grove_train_wreck

Dennis Storzek