Touchup paint

Clark Propst

A friend picked up a GN plywood sided Intermountain RTR box car at a train show a couple Saturdays ago for $5. The model had a reweigh date of 1956, newer than the time I model, so I checked with Bob Heninger. He said I’d be ok backdating the reweigh. I was sticking on some chalk mark decals and wondered if some of the appliances may need to be replaced, knowing the generic parts IM always puts on their models. Bob suggested I replace the US Gypsum running board with an Apex because of the car’s number. I had a Kadee oxide colored one so that was canopy glued on. The color wasn’t even close to the rest of the car. I looked through my dwindling paint supply which didn’t get me any closer. So, I dug out my craft paints I bought at Wal-Mart for 50 cents a bottle. I use them to touch up my layout backdrops. I mixed a dark red, brown, tan and light gray to come up with a match, or real close. I don’t know if these craft paints would work on all touchups, but they are something to consider when replacing parts on decorated models.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa