Re: ladder nomenclature - from Wikipedia

Jeff Coleman

AAR Field Manual
Rule 79
Lists Ladder Treads.
Ladders complete, includes two side rails or stiles and treads.

Rule 83
Qualifer PE, Ladder Tread
Qualifer PD, Ladder Stile Bracket

Jeff Coleman

On Apr 6, 2017 10:55 AM, "'Schuyler Larrabee' schuyler.larrabee@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Dennis opines:

I would think the preferred term would be "stiles". That would be consistent with architectural usage, where the vertical members of a door or sash are stiles, while the horizontals are rails.

Well, yes, that’s correct about DOORS, but we’re talking about ladders. But I do agree about using stiles for the vertical parts of a ladder. And ladders have rungs.

Schuyler