Re: ORERs

mark_landgraf

I suspect the accountants may have driven the periodic changes in the remaining cars in the fleet. While most of the cars that were coming off the road were fully depreciated, there was still the need of the accountants to know the peeiodic value of the whole fleet. 

Periodic could be weekly, monthly or quarterly, depending on the rr. 

In some cases, when an aging fleet starts costing more to maintain than the revenue it can generate, certainly the accountants would start arguing for retirement. 

In 2017, our 1100 vehicle fleet, we retire a vehicle when the maintenace costs exceed 2/3 of the replacement cost. I suspect that most of the rrs had a  fleet mgt plan of some sort‎. 

Mark Landgraf
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2017 12:47 PM
To: STMFC@...
Reply To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: ORERs

Bob

My reply was really directed to Ike's post but I had not seen it,
only your reply...

Anyway I thought of an EXCELLENT reason why ALL railroads were very interested
in the exact number of freight cars they owned - Per Diem! There had better be
an account of every single car's whereabouts at midnight every night and if they
were offline, the account had better be paid!

Tim

Tim,

You have me there. I should have said, "if it wasn't important for the number of cars in a series to be accurate, why was it tracked in the ORER?" My response was in reply to George Eichelberger's post of April 8, 2017. Apparently the Southern didn't care too much about the accuracy of the listings of cars being taken out of service. The GN did, dutifully counting down the numbers of GN truss rod cars, despite their wholesale retirement in the postwar years.

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.