Re: ORERs

Schuyler Larrabee

Tim has hit on the most important reason that railroads would care about how
many of each car class remained on their rosters: Not per diem per se, but
ACCOUNTING.

Railroads employed legions of accountants for all sorts of purposes, one of
which was to keep track of how much the railroad was worth as a going
enterprise. A lot of that assessment has to do with the physical plant,
both the stationary plant and the rolling stock. I think it was Dennis
mentioned that the ICC Valuation reports were required to be updated until
sometime in the late 50s, early 60s. In order to keep a valuation up to
date, you would have to know how many of each type of car is still a viable
investment.

And then we get into the discussion of when a car isn't covering its costs
to own. Another reason to keep tabs on the cars you have in your fleet.

But for me, the point was to find out how many cars were in service after
1950. And it turns out that this is important for a model manufacturer to
know so as to judge whether it's worth producing a model. And it was quite
effective for my purposes, thank you very much.

Too bad the Southern didn't take this more seriously. I wonder what the ICC
had to say about it.

Schuyler