Re: Car Types for a Brown & Haley Candy Factory

Donald B. Valentine

---In STMFC@..., <wakeene@...> wrote :

Gary,

I would think that cream would be locally sources and would arrive via a motor carrier and not on the rails. I also do not believe that cocoa beans would require insulated shipment. Most likely these are shipped in bags. If this was coming in off of freighters at the Port of Tacoma, these may also have been shipped via motor carrier. Not knowing exactly where the candy plant was/is in relationship with the port this could also be a rather short railroad move.

As for utilities powering the plant, I will leave that up to those that know the territory better than I.

Cheers & Happy Modeling,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

Hi folks,

    My mother retired after some 15 years as the in house industrial nurse for Deran's Confectionary,
a large candy factory in Lechmere Sq., East Cambridge, Mass. ultimately bought by Bordens. For
me it was a great place to earn a few bucks helping out in the shipping room during short college
vacation periods. Cocoa beans were received at the plant in large bags made of very thick burlap,
far heavier than what was used for animal feeds when I was a kid on a dairy farm in the late 1940's
and early 1950's. IIRC correctly these bags were quite a bit more than 100 lb. bags and were
palletized as received so they could be handled with a fork lift. Though within three hundred yards
of B&M tracks in the East Somerville Yards there was no rail service to the plant. Thus everything
that came in or went out moved by truck. The plant had a warehouse on Atlantic Ave. in Boston that
was served by the Union Freight Rwy. and was switched largely at night. Other than a team track in
the Somerville Yards the warehouse was Deran's only access to rail.

Cordially, Don Valentine

On Apr 10, 2017, at 3:05 PM, 'gary laakso' vasa0vasa@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

The Milwaukee Road served the Brown & Haley candy factory in Tacoma, WA, a substantial building of maybe 5 stories and there is a partial picture of it on page 43 of A Northwest Rail Pictorial  II using pictures from Warren W. Wing.

Boxcars would have delivered bagged sugar and most other ingredients, though maybe a refrigerator car for creams.  The packaging materials would likely also be delivered by boxcars.  Assuming that this or other similar candy factories shipped out to small stores on line crates of candies, they likely would have gone REA, unless a large a distributor needed LCL service.  Flavorings could have moved via refrigerator cars returning for further loads.  Would cocoa beans be delivered in refrigerator cars acting as insulated boxcars returning to their home road?

Would such factories have their own power plant or would they have used the local grid?  It could be a function of the age of machinery in the plant: steam v. electric?

Gary Laakso thinking of candies while working on tax forms

South of Mike Brock