what are these cars?

Elliot Fishbein

Good Afternoon,

I have posted a photo to the files section, 14-85a, Norwich, NY. This photo was found while digitizing the archives of O&W Historical Society.  The photo was taken sometime around1900 on the O&W.  I believe it was in Norwich, NY.  The cars in question are on the right, surrounding a reefer.  There seems to be a single, long word on the side of the cars.  Pennsylvania?  Since the picture was passed around at a local NMRA meet a few months ago, there has been considerable “discussion.”  Can any of you folks shed any light on what these cars are?

Thanks,

Elliot Fishbein

Cochecton, NY