Re: What Class Boxcar Was This UP Caboose Converted From?

Aley, Jeff A

Greg,

                You asked, “I wonder how long they lasted before going into MW services? Beautiful example of a rebuild.”

                The caboose in question was built as a temporary caboose: “In 1947 and 1951-52, traffic levels again reached high levels, and Union Pacific again found that it didn’t have sufficient cabooses for road service.”

“With the arrival of 100 new CA-5 steel cabooses in 1952, this … group of 71 temporary cabooses was re-assigned to maintenance-of-way service as Boarding-Bunk cars.”

-Cabooses of the Union Pacific Railroad by Don Strack and James L. Ehrenberger p78.

Regards,

-Jeff