Re: BLI NYC USRA Steel Box Car Corrections Needed

Donald B. Valentine

---In STMFC@..., <timboconnor@...> wrote :

I have done a bit of work on a BLI NYC steel box car with 7/8 ends and seem to recall past remarks in this group on the "troubles" with these cars.  I know NYC did many rebuilds of these with new roofs and running boards, but apart from being unable to match a specific BLI road number with the "proper" roof or running board for a specific period, what are the most egregious details on the out-of-box model that need to be corrected?

Michael Gross

--------------------------

Michael,

As far as I have learned, the models are good for NYC - although someone mentioned
that they may represent a modernized car (?) Anyway, here are some previous references
from old emails -

   In the October 2006, RMC, Essential Freight Car article #34, NYC USRA design box cars,
   there is a table that lists all of the cars, and their similarities/differences.
   - Aaron Gjermundson

   That information is also in the roster in my
March, 2007 Railmodel Journal article
   on these cars. The only Spec. 486 box cars that had Dreadnaught ends were those built
   in 1927: 1,000 cars for the Big Four (later absorbed into the NYC roster), 50 cars
   for the Peoria & Eastern, and 1,000 cars for the NYC itself. So that's 2,050 cars
   out of almost 21,000, approximately one in ten. All the other cars had 7-8 corrugated
   ends. - Richard Hendrickson

I hope that helps a little

Tim O'Connor

    I've been pretty happy with the BLI NYC cars as modeled. If BLI were to modify them at
all I have supplied them with the changes needed, and photos, to get very nearly correct
DL&W and Reading prototypes out of these same models. Different ends, different doors
but little else is required. Getting Bob Grubba, BLI's president, to move on almost any
change or improvement, however, is about as much fun as kicking a fire hydrant. In
addition, I write "very nearly correct" because I know some fellows on this list have little to
do other than nit pick every new model to death. Perhaps they need to be reminded that
we are dealing with injection molded styrene models for the masses rather than expensive,
imported brass models for the few who can still afford them.

Cordially, Don Valentine