From: 'Steve Sandifer' steve.sandifer@... [STMFC]
To: STMFC
Sent: Mon, May 8, 2017 11:44 am
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: Don't be chicken

This morning I pulled out my photos from St. Louis and looked at the other photos people have been posting and decided that there were cages built into the walls of the poultry car and birds were individually loaded into those cases. Close up photos of loaded cars show no secondary cages, just the external wire of the car. Therefore the birds had to be loaded by hand.

However, there were tongue and groove wooden floors to all of the built-in cages, the wood running crosswise, like a shelf at each level. The one at St. Louis is 8 cages high by 4 cages long on each side of the central work room. That makes a total of 64 cages for the entire car. The internal cage doors appear to be made of steel strap, 3 horizon and 2 vertical straps inside an angle iron frame, hinged from the bottom. Separating each cage was a  wall that was half sheet metal and the upper half vertical bars. Most of the inside is constructed from angle iron. There was a central corridor, possibly 2’ wide, through the car to give access to the cages. On the end were two doors stack above each other with vertical bars in them and external wood doors to cover them. I assume some of this could be used to control air flow.

The central “work room” was separated from the two cage rooms by a wooden wall composed of vertical boards. I cannot tell if it had a door in it or not. It also has a steel tank suspended under the floor of the work area as well as a box of some kind over that work area. I assume one held water and the other feed, but those are assumptions. Two external side ladders, one on each side of the work area, gave access to the roof.

Unfortunately the St. Louis car is stored in a non-public area (I got special permission to see it) and is about 30” from the loco next to it, so there is no easy way to take photos. I used my 10mm super wide. The car is also in poor condition, but at least it is saved and under cover.

The big pitfall of all of the models I have seen is that they are content with eternal screen walls, which make the cars look like one big bird cage instead of three compartments with two filled with shelf cages. If someone wanted to model these correctly, he could probably simulate it with lots of etched brass parts.