Re: Don't be chicken

Donald B. Valentine

---In STMFC@..., <atsfus@...> wrote :

On 5/8/2017 2:23 PM, destorzek@... [STMFC] wrote:
for a total of 128 compartments, for a grand total of 2,000, maybe 2,500 birds per car.

    I'm misunderstanding something here.  Are we saying they would have to load 2-2.5K chickens using a 24" wide passage way?  Seems like that would take a long time.  I'm picturing in my mind two birds in each hand, opening and closing each cage, etc.

    That's what I had wondered for some years as well, Jon, until the comment was made that what we are seeing in the cars were crates loadeonto  rails or racks. That makes sense. The standard chicken crate that I am familiar with is roughly 4 ft. long, 3 ft. wide and 1 1/2 ft. high with a wooden hinged opening near the center of the top. Can't recall how many birds were put in each crate but it wold obviously be easier to load a crate off of the car and then place the entire crate onto racks built into the car, probably on crate on each side of the central aisle but how many on top of one another I don't know.
Cordially, Don Valentine