Re: Ventilated Box Cars

A&Y Dave in MD

It's not necessarily heat, but ethylene gas that can emanate from ripening fruits and melons.

Some fruits release it, others are sensitive to it. See a list at:

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

On May 11, 2017, at 11:49 AM, george eichelberger geichelberger@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

There is another aspect of “ventilated” box cars I did not realize until I started doing research for the SRHA Wood and Steel Underframe Cars book. Ventilated cars were necessary to let heat OUT.

Any vegetable matter produces heat as it decomposes. Melons, etc that were shipped in vent box cars produced enough heat from that process to cause them to “go bad”. It’s not the loads needed cooling or refrigeration, they needed to keep from spoiling due to the heat they produce in transit. There is probably an expert on the list that can explain the process better?

Ike