Re: THINNER FOR FLOQUIL SOLVENT BASED PAINTS

Jim Betz

Hi - thought I'd chime in ...

I have been using solvent based paints since the mid-80's. I
still have a small supply of both Diosol and Scalecoat thinner
and use them for air brushing ... but use lacquer thinner for
clean up. I intend to switch to using thinner when the brand
specific cans are empty (if I'm still using solvent paints).
I do think that there are some jobs that are simply easier/better
when using solvent paints - and I prefer lacquers to enamels
(but only slightly) and so I almost always use a lacquer. At
least one of the reasons for this choice is that the colors
for "my RR" aren't well done by acrylics.

If you are having trouble using paint thinner with Floquil or
Scalecoat I suggest you start using less of it during the first
time you use it and then add more later to get the amount
of 'thinness' you want. I also use this approach for re-instating
a bottle of paint that has lost too much of its thinner due to
being stored too long after being opened. I have almost
always been able to recover the bottle ... if I start with only a
little of the thinner (brand specific) and keep adding until I
get it to where I want/need it. It's takes a little longer but is
easier (also quicker and cheaper) than having to go to the
hobby store to get a new bottle.
To clean up my air brush what I do is to shoot some
straight thinner thru it (a small amount), wait a little
while to let the thinner work, then shoot some more. I
shoot into a piece of clean paper towel and when it
sprays 'clean' ... I switch to disassembly and soaking
the parts in straight thinner. All standard practices -
there's nothing special/secret about these.

Yes, I have a paint booth with a fan that sucks clean
air into it and takes the bad air outside our home. And I
use a high filtration paint mask when shooting solvent
based paints.
- Jim B.

3a. Re: THINNER FOR FLOQUIL SOLVENT BASED PAINTS
Posted by: "anthony wagner" anycw1@... tonyw738
Date: Thu May 11, 2017 6:52 pm ((PDT))

For what it's worth, I used lacquer thinner with both Floquil and Scalecoat before I switched to acrylics. It worked better with Floquil and saved some cash over buying brand specific thinners. A quart can would last a long time. Tony Wagner

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 3:31 PM, "Rod Miller rod@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

On 5/11/17 1:09 PM, Nelson Moyer npmoyer@... [STMFC] wrote:
You’re rumor is urban legend. If you read the fine print on the can, you will
see that the ingredients include a number of organic solvents that are
immiscible with water. If you wish to experiment, put a little water in a
small jar and add a little lacquer thinner. Your will see water on the bottom
layer and lacquer thinner on top. If you shake the jar and let it stand, the
solvents will separate into two layers. I don’t have my CRC handbook any
more, but you look up the solubility tables if you have one available.

Nelson Moyer

From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] Sent: Thursday,
May 11, 2017 2:34 PM To: STMFC@... Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re:
THINNER FOR FLOQUIL SOLVENT BASED PAINTS

It is rumored that the big box lacquer thinners are cut with water.

For painting I buy lacquer thinner from auto paint supply stores. For clean
up I use the big box thinner.

-- Rod Miller
Good info, thanks.