From: Brian LaManna brianlamanna@... [STMFC]
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Fri, May 12, 2017 6:26 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Shell tank cars in the northeast

List,

I'm currently attempting to build up a tank car fleet that would be accurate for my time (1953-1957) and locale (suburban New Jersey on the Lackawanna).  Going over different sources like this list's archives, the Speedwitch tank car book, "The Postwar Freight Car Fleet" and many of the Railmodel Journal articles on models and prototypes, I'm trying to establish if a Shell tank car 1. existed in my time frame and 2. operated under what reporting marks?  From what I can gather, the eastern Shell division -- SEPX -- began switching to the RPX initials in the early '40s.  Further reading suggests that the RPX fleet was folded into one of the large leasing firms (UTLX or GATX).  I'm curious if any Shell/RPX cars would be in a consist in the NY/NJ/PA area in the mid '50s or if by that point they would be part of one of the larger monolithic fleets?

Any and all assistance is appreciated.  If this has been addressed before, my apologies.  I went through the archives but sometimes I miss things.

Thanks,

Brian LaManna/Moncton, NB

brianlamanna AT hotmail DOT com