Re: Emery Boards (was Pan Pastels)

Charles Peck

Soft materials such as brass, solder, and plastic do indeed clog files.  Before filing soft material,
I fill the file with chalk, regular blackboard chalk.  The chalk will allow the file to work but
will make it much easier to clean afterwards.
Chuck Peck

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I use a brass "bristle" brush and it cleans the files just fine. I guess if one got really
gunked up I'd take it outside for a grit blast. But I also use emery boards, and the newer
brands of foam-core files that come in many shapes and levels of abrasion from 60 to 600...

Tim O'Connor

I have used a file card, but it never got all the gunk out and eventually the files were ruined. Emery boards are much cheaper than new files. They are also handy for tight spaces, especially for cleaning out narrow slots.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff