Re: Automobile Engine Unloading

Tim O'Connor

Didn't Willys (i.e. Jeep) have an assembly plant in the LA area? I vaguely recall hearing that with regard
to some Santa Fe freight cars ...

Tim O'Connor

These 1958 photos just make it into the group's era. Captions state the engines are being unloaded at a Lincoln-Mercury plant. The source of the photos was Merge Studios in Los Angeles so the location probably is Southern California. Ford operated a plant in Pico Rivera (1957-1980), a suburb southeast of Los Angeles, served by the Santa Fe. I am unaware of another Ford plant in the area other than Ford's Long Beach plant, which closed in 1959.

http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibris/aleph/a21_1/apache_media/T8DTUN8QLI1G6QA3P7QX182MBV1MEN.jpg
http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibris/aleph/a21_1/apache_media/PRLBRXSE4YTD94GAMBGA7F4JXI2EUK.jpg
http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibris/aleph/a21_1/apache_media/YGB2KC52ILVK3EVGQJSREA12E91V8H.jpg

Bob Chaparro